October 31, 1862, American Citizen (Canton, Mississippi)
The Military hospital at Montgomery comprises four commodious brick tenements. It can accommodate one thousand patients. A correspondent of the Columbus (Ga.) Enquirer thus notices one feature of it:
A feature—a noble one too—is apparent in this hospital. Six angelic Sisters of Mercy attended solely at this hospital, and you can perceive a spirit of devotion and kindness in their mild, complacent countenances. They are from Mobile, and their names are Sister Mary Adelaide, senior, Sister Johanna, Sister Prudence, Sister Mary Elizabeth, Sister Agnes and Sister Anastasia.
These good women have devoted their lives to doing good, and may heaven reward them for the sacrifices they have made for the benefit of suffering humanity.
During the passage of Bragg’s army through this city, about seven hundred sick were left here and out of that number only twenty-two died, and it may be justly claimed a small per centage when most of the deceased were so far gone on their reception for treatment.
Recently a report was made to Congress of the condition of the hospitals in Richmond. It was shown that the mortality was astonishingly less in those establishments managed by women than in those where the other sex had sway. In one managed by the former it was only about three per cent. The lowest of those managed by the latter was about six per cent.