Diary and Letters of Rutherford B. Hayes.

Camp Union, January 4, 1862.

Dear Doctor : — You have probably learned that Dr. McCurdy has gone home to recruit his health. If Dr. Jim does not break down (I have some fears on that score) this absence of Dr. McCurdy need not hasten your departure. Our men are generally very healthy; the sick are daily returning, for the most part well. Captain Skiles and Captain Lovejoy are to recruit in Ohio. It is possible that I may not come, if Lucy gets on well, until you return. If we do not move the Twenty-third on to Raleigh, I would prefer to wait, if possible, until you get here.

If we go on to Raleigh where Major ––. At this point, I learned that the Twenty-sixth is ordered to Kentucky. If so, it will stop our going on to Raleigh; besides, it has just begun to rain, so I suppose we are fixed. If so, I shall be coming home in two or three weeks, I think. Possibly not. You need send me nothing except newspapers. The Commercial via Gallipolis by mail comes in good time.

We have some interesting contrabands coming in daily. Eleven came in yesterday. The rain seems to be a “settled” one. If so, all movements in this quarter are at an end. Sorry, but it can’t be helped. . . .



Dr. J. T. Webb.

Diary and Letters of Rutherford Birchard Hayes

Comments on this entry are closed.