Dear Courier

December 4, 1862, Rome Courier (Gerogia)

Camp 22D Georgia Regiment,

Near Orange Court House, Va.,

Nov. 15th, 1862

Dear Courier: There has been nothing of great importance occurred in this vicinity, since my last communication. On Thursday, October 30th, we left our camp near Winchester and arrived at this place on Sunday, Nov 2d, making the trip in less than four days, at distance of 65 miles. The march was very fatiguing, more so perhaps than any we have taken since leaving Richmond. The roads were so extremely hard and the first day we marched too rapidly, making 24 miles in ten hours. The weather is, and has been quite cool for sometime. There was a considerable fall of snow here on the 7th inst., enough to almost completely cover the ground to a depth of half an inch in thickness.

Our regiment is still without tents, which is very disagreeable. Some of the boys have those small Yankee tents, which they found in the Yankee camps, and which they carry on their back, when on a march. These little tents afford considerable comfort.

Their are a good many soldiers of this regiment without shoes and several quite destitute of clothing. The government has furnished some shoes, and clothing, but not near enough to sup- ply the wants. Lieut. Gen. Longstreet issued an order a few days ago for the soldiers who were without shoes to make moccasins of raw hides. The Fireside Defenders met with good fortune the other day. Col. Jones, who is now at home wounded, had a lot of shoes made, and sent them to the company. The boys are now all well shod, “all honor our gallant Colonel.”

Our regiment went out last Tuesday, (the 11th inst.,) near Hazel Run, six miles from camp, to do picket duty.– The Yankees fell back and our men pursued them to the Rappahannock, where they still remain, (said to be) in large force. Our regiment pursued the Yankees some six or seven miles, and advanced as far as Jefferson, thirteen miles from this place.

One very remkable instance occurred while we were out. Two South Carolinians, belonging to Stewart’s Cavalry, having been informed by a lad where there were some Yankees taking breakfast, at a neighboring house, went and captured the whole party. Consisting of a colonel, adjutant and four privates. We returned to camp last evening.

Yesterday morning Stewart’s Cavalry captured forty Yankees at Jefferson.– There has been some canonading going on in that direction to-day. A regular engagement is expected in a short time.

The health of the regiment is generally good, considerating the exposures the men are subjected to.

There are about twenty-two members of our company absent, sick and wounded, at different hospitals and some at home. I have not the time to give their names.

We received a few days ago, the sad news of the death of our much beloved Captain W. F. Jones. He died in Baltimore, Md., Oct 24th. It will be remembered that he was wounded and taken prisoner at the battle of Sharpsburg. He was never found wanting.– He was brave and energetic, and but few men surpassed him, though young, as a military commander, he was much beloved and esteemed by all who knew him. Those who were under his command sadly mourn his loss. Never had any captain, more the entire approbatgion of his company than he. He was a young man in the bloom of life, bid fair to make a useful and prominent citizen; but alas! death leaves a “shining Mark.”


Civil War

Comments on this entry are closed.